Break the Niceness Cycle: Assertive Communication Strategies for Women
It happens too often.
Women in the workplace want to express themselves authentically, but they hold back because they’re afraid of backlash.
They avoid being assertive for fear of being labeled “aggressive”.
They stay silent in meetings when they have valuable contributions to make.
They put everyone else’s needs above their own because they don’t want to appear uncooperative or unlikeable.
They don’t ask questions because they’re worried about what others will think.
And ultimately, these people-pleasing tendencies, as well-intentioned as they might be, end up holding them back.
This 60-minute training will help professional women honor their opinions, ideas, and contributions. We’ll walk through common dilemmas that women run into in the workplace and offer practical advice for handling them.
Join us and walk away ready to stand your ground, display your talents and contributions, and claim your space in the workplace.
- Diplomatic ways to say “no”
- Strategies for respectfully disagreeing with colleagues
- Alternatives to words and phrases that sound indecisive
- In-person and virtual-meeting practices that project self-assuredness
- And more!
Communicate with poise
- The connection between listening and confidence while having a conversation
- Words and phrases to use and those to avoid
- Options for disagreeing graciously and confidently
- Ways to say “No” decisively and diplomatically
Handle difficult situations with confidence
- Options for responding when someone steals your idea
- Responses to a person who rambles on and on or repeatedly interrupts
- Set boundaries when a colleague tries to take advantage of you
- Disagree without sounding defensive or starting an argument
Empower yourself while showing respect for your colleagues
- Gain the confidence to speak up and contribute your ideas and opinions
- Feel freer to express disagreement
- Say “no” to a request or invitation while still being respectful
About the Speaker
Karla Brandau is a leading authority on leadership for a more collaborative and productive workforce. She has educated leaders, managers, supervisors, and individual contributors with her proven people skills and productivity systems in companies such as Motorola, Coca-Cola Enterprises, Panasonic, Siemens, and BYD America. Government agencies that have benefited from her programs include NIH, NIDA, the EPA, and IBB. Educational Institutions include Georgia State, Georgia Tech, Texas A & M, and Mercer University.
The employee experience is the focal point of Karla’s expertise. Her executive coaching and training for leaders includes how to:
- Build a winning team
- Be resilient when faced with challenging situations
- Implement change within your organization
Too many women fall into the niceness trap, and eventually, they end up stuck in a cycle of self-sabotage. If you can relate, this training is for you. We’ll help you right the course by giving you actionable tips to advocate for yourself at work – which will help propel your career forward.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!