Write Better Emails at Work: Digital Communication Dos & Don’ts
Every email and instant message you write sends a message about who you are professionally, and also reflects on the quality of your organization. It’s critical that each email, instant message or text that leaves your computer or device is crisp, polished and carries the appropriate tone.
In this interactive, 60-minute event you will gain step-by-step guidance for writing effective digital communications that get noticed, contain clear messages, and help build your credibility. Join us to discover how to:
- Write, edit, and proofread emails that have purpose and are error-free
- Steer clear of passive emails that are overlooked by the reader
- Choose a style consistent with your personality and position
- Distinguish when to use a professional, casual or forceful tone
- Handle emotions when communicating by email or text
- Bonus - Pre-send Checklist & Email Workflow Chart
Digital Communication Best Practices
- Keys to communicating your message with clarity and precision
- Checking for grammatical errors: what to watch out for
- Tips to calm stress levels if you get stalled responding to a message
- Eliminating vague and incoherent writing: what to avoid
Writing Emails, IMs & Texts that Get Read & Returned
- Identifying who will be receiving the message and why it matters
- Understanding the “pre-planning” phase of writing emails and texts
- Creating appropriate, concise and attention-grabbing subject lines
- How the “first paragraph” strategy drives email responses
- Adding a call to action in your email, text or instant message
Setting the Right Tone & Finding Your Voice in Communications
- Communicating inside the organization versus outside it
- Distinguish when to use a formal, casual or forceful tone
- How to avoid using impersonal language that may offend
- Considering unintended consequences and interpretations of your message
Question and Answer Session - Your specific questions & unique challenges will be addressed!
About the Speaker
Karla Brandau is a leading authority on leadership for a more collaborative and productive workforce. She has educated leaders, managers, supervisors, and individual contributors with her proven people skills and productivity systems in companies such as Motorola, Coca-Cola Enterprises, Panasonic, Siemens, and BYD America. Government agencies that have benefited from her programs include NIH, NIDA, the EPA, and IBB. Educational Institutions include Georgia State, Georgia Tech, Texas A & M, and Mercer University.
The employee experience is the focal point of Karla’s expertise. Her executive coaching and training for leaders includes how to:
- Build a winning team
- Be resilient when faced with challenging situations
- Implement change within your organization
Each email, IM or text message we send is an opportunity to strengthen connections, build rapport and stand out professionally. In this instructor-led, 60-minute event you will learn important dos and don’ts for crafting impactful messages that are clear, attention grabbing and get the response you want.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!